Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ummm....Can you show me how the flush the toilet?

So we land and make our first trip through immigration and customs. We get to stand in a line "behind the red line" (they are emphatic about this) with another form telling where we're from and how long we'll be here and what we'll be doing. We are very tired, but in good spirits and I can't wait to get my first stamp in my passport. The man was very nice and polite and we all pass through with no issues at all. Pick up the bags and breeze through customs without even knowing we've gone through it! Imagine that! Customs was basicially two guys standing in the walkway watching us pass through with our luggage. Here I was expecting to be sniffed by dogs, my bags searched, interrogated for hours and this is it? Thank the Lord for small favors.

As we walk out into the parking lot there is a sea of people with signs for taxis, loved ones and way in the back we see Imro and Linda! Yeah, familiar faces. We hug and introduce everyone; then off to the bus to load up and head back to Paramaribo.

With Imro and Linda is an older lady named Millie. She is 74 and has been a missionary for 45 years. She and her friend, Pat, started a Bible club for teens years ago and Imro was in their first class. She has stayed in ministry with their church and is like an Aunt to them. She is very spry and just a delight to be with. Little did we know how much time we would spend with Millie and how we would grow to love her.

The drive to Paramaribo from the airport is an hour and the road was better than I had expected pothole wise, but we passed many Hindu shrines and mosques on the way. This is a land of many cultures and religions. Linda had brought sandwiches and drinks for us and I quickly grabbed a bottle of water because I was so dry from the flight.

The first to be dropped off were Tom Smith and Cody. They would be staying with Ted and Oonona. Ted is from America and Oonona is from Suriname. He has a media production company and produces documentary films. By this time it's after 1:00 AM and the nighbor's dogs are barking their heads off and I'm sure someone's going to yell at us for making so much noise. We get their bags unloaded and tell them good-by; then it's off to Imro's sister's house where Tracy and I will be staying.

Peggy is the middle of nine children. When we pulled up to her house Tracy and I were shocked to see that they had this beautiful two story home. I mean we had no idea what to expect, but when we envisioned being on a mission trip this was not what we had pictured. Peggy came to the door in pajamas and just gave us the biggest hugs. You know how when teenage girls hug you they rock you back and forth as they hug you? That was Peggy. I knew instantly that I would love being with her. We told everyone good-by and she led us upstairs to our room. She showed us to the area where the shower and bathroom were and, of course, having been riding for a while I needed to go. First I couldn't find the light, not a problem, I wasn't going to let that stop me. Well, then the problem was I couldn't figure out how to flush the toilet. It's dark so I can't see that well, I'm feeling all around the sides of the toilet and don't find a thing to flush! So, I head back out and luckily Peggy is out in the family room. I sheepishly ask her if she would show me where the light is and could she please show me how to flush the toilet. Nothing like breaking down all social barriers right from the get go. She laughs and shows me that on the top of the toilet (covered by a very pretty doily) is a button that you push to flush their toilets. Ok, so how was I to know to feel on top?

Within minutes of that, we are in our pj's, lights out and sound asleep. It's just before 2:00 AM and the first hurdles have been cleared.

2 comments:

Rick May said...

Pat, you are doing an awesome job on your blog. I can picture everything as you write it. It's so neat to hear about your experience. And, I would not have known where to look for the "flusher" either!! :)

A visible Ghost said...

Yay I'm enjoying these :-)