Monday, March 2, 2009

So What Did I Learn?

While on the trip, we asked Pastor Tom if we could have a Sunday to share our trip with the congregation. So many had prayed for us and also what other opportunity would we have to show so many exactly what this trip had meant to us. Also, it was just this type of sharing years ago that had sparked my desire to experience a mission trip myself.

We decided that we would spend the entire service the following Sunday sharing pictures and memories of the trip at both services. We each shared a different aspect and Tom Smith did a great job of putting a montage of pictures together of the entire week.

At first I wondered if I could capture the emotion and meaning of the trip even after a week, but as soon as I saw the first picture the tears came again and finding the words to convey the passion was not a problem.

So what did I learn?

1. I learned that no matter why you think you're going on a mission trip, God usually has something totally different in mind for you. I really thought I was going to be a big help and blessing to these people, but found that I was the one who had been so richly blessed and barely lifted a finger. I still don't know why God chose me to go on this trip. I may never know this side of heaven. I just know I was called and I answered the call and I'm so grateful that I did.

2. No matter where you go, be prepared to leave a large piece of your heart when it comes time to go. You will be touched in ways that you cannot even being to imagine. When you are linked to others through a shared love for Christ you begin any relationship at a deeper level right from the start. God's people connect heart to heart and soul to soul when Christ is their focus.

3. And this is the sweetest one. I'm so grateful for the promise of eternal life for those who put their faith in Christ. I'm grateful because I may never get back to Suriname, but I will see each of these sisters and brothers when we meet again in heaven.

Would I do it again......? Absolutely. Can't wait and hope to make a trip to Africa soon. Stay tuned!

No comments: